Thursday, April 2, 2020

YEA THOUGH I WALK THROUGH THE VALLEY OF THE SHADOW

In recent weeks I've had a lot of time on my hands to consider what this Coronavirus has brought about. How has it affected our thoughts ... for better or worse? Where will it lead us at the end of all the sickness and confusion? Who will lead us?  How will life be different for us, or will it change little or none?
In looking for answers, I did more than usual Bible study looking for answers since, in all my reading, I discovered that man did not have the answers I was looking to find.  
In Psalms 23, a passage that many memorized as children and many seem to have forgotten, there seemed to be some answers to a lot of questions. Take a moment to refresh your memory in case you have forgotten just how it goes. 
1The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
 One verse struck me immediately. 
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 
A bit of background on this verse, if you will allow me.
The Valley of the Shadow is a real place, not just a metaphorical idea in the Psalmist David's mind. It is located in an area between Jericho and Jerusalem and is indeed a valley of shadows, a barren place filled with dangerous animals, as well as thieves and robbers who hid in the many crevices and attacked travelers and is probably the area mentioned in the parable of the Good Samaritan. The Shepherds in those times had to drive their sheep through this forsaken area from the Jordan River Valley to the hill country of Judea.  
Today, many feel as if they are being driven through this valley with all the unknowns about the virus, which is having its effect on all. But rest assured that there is little to actually fear for as the next part of the verse states, "thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."  
In the Psalmist days, the rod was a club probably made from a part of the tree where what some would call a knot had formed. It was a very hard piece of wood that was virtually indestructible. In it, the shepherd placed sharp-pointed metal pieces, and when wild animals attacked his flock, he drove them away with it.  
Today, we have medications, usually given by a sharp piece of metal, with which to drive the dangerous attacker away.   
The staff was the long pole with a hook shape carved on the end with which the shepherd used to lead his sheep and to reach out and bring to safety one that may have fallen into a crevice or became entangled in the thorny brambles.  
Today, the crevices and thorny brambles are the media with all the half truths and outright deceptions. Fortunately, we have an earthly shepherd that reaches out with the staff of truth lest we forget we also have a Heavenly Shepherd that is there to guide us through all the snares along the way. 
Where will it all lead?
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
The Good Shepherd... Our Heavenly Shepherd has said that "He will never leave us nor forsake us," and we can see the "table" that is prepared for us even in the midst of this enemy, the virus. "I shall not want" is a very key phrase. Our needs ... not our wants (for we want too much) ... are being provided.  Although we may grow angry at the hoarders who took the last roll of toilet paper or the last package of hamburger, our needs will be and are being met.   
How will life be different for us, or will it change little or none?
Metaphorically, our heads are anointed with oil, which was a sign of blessing among other things, and yes, even as we worry about finances in the moment, our cup will run over with His blessings, when all is said and done. Does it mean we will be rich in money? Perhaps, but we are told not to lay up treasures here on the earth that moth and rust destroy, and where thieves can break through and steal. In times like these, our treasures come from giving and helping others who are in fear and sometimes in physical need as well. 
Some will be changed for the better. Those are the ones who cast their burdens and fears on the one who has strong shoulders and has promised that He can bear them all.  
  1. Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)  28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
    Psalm 52:22   Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.
     Unfortunately there are those who will only grow angry and filled with even more despair and those are the very ones who need our help more today and will need it more when all of this has passed. For them, we can only pray the words of man will not reach them that they might understand that.
  2. The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. Psalms 145:1How should we pray:James 1:6: But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.Then lest we forget that in these times we have been shown the way through "The Valley of the Shadow" that hangs over our nation.  
 2 Chronicles 7:14: 14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

No comments: