Monday, May 31, 2010

Remembering Those Who Have Served


I will not attempt to write a post for today.  My words would be feeble and unable to express the feeling of gratitude to all those who have served this country.  I salute each and every one of you regardless where or when you served.  May God bless each of you and may all those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice rest in His peace.

AF Ticker.


I add this quote which says more than I could ever say:

"We were young. We have died. Remember us. ... We have done what we could But until it is finished it is not done. ... We have given our lives But until it is finished no one can know what our lives gave. ... Our deaths are not ours, They are yours, They will mean what you make them. They say, Whether our lives, and our deaths were for peace and a new hope Or for nothing We cannot say. It is you who must say this. ... We leave you our deaths, Give them their meaning." --Archibald MacLeish, American poet, writer and the Librarian of Congress

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

He also said this:

"Once you permit those who are convinced of their own superior rightness to censor and silence and suppress those who hold contrary opinions, just at that moment the citadel has been surrendered."

Ticker said...

Sounds as if he was speaking of the one in charge of the current administration doesn't it.

Maggie Thornton said...

ticker - your comment just came in at my place as I am reading your post:-)

Beautiful and meaningful post, along with the additional quote by Anonymous.

Always On Watch said...

We leave you our deaths, Give them their meaning

I fear that most Americans are not caring enough to give those deaths meaning in their own hearts.

A nation that does not revere its fallen is a nation without a conscience, IMO.

GM Roper said...

Thanks Ticker, and thanks for all that you have done in service to the USA.

GM

Ticker said...

Thank all of you for your comments.
This Memorial Day was probably the saddest Memorial Day in my memory. I have watched this great country being dragged through the gutter, disrespected by it's citizens and by those who should be rejoicing that there is a country that they can find a safe refuge within. I have watched politicians ignore the very laws upon which this country was founded as well as the precepts. I have watched a so called C'n'C disrespect our military and show his disdain for those who have served and those who are serving. No other president in history has ever stooped to such a level of disrespect not only for the military but for the country as well.
I listened to the strains of Tap's fade into the distance today and tears welled in my eyes as I thought of those who have fought and died, for those who have fought and died inpart inside as well and also for those who have served honorably.
My heart broke as I left that field of honor and reflected upon what has happened in this country. I wondered if I would ever again see it as it has been, One Nation Under God.
It's a sad time my friends.