Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Baking Time -- An Easy Bake Cake

CHRISTMAS CAKE

I haven't made this cake in years.

The recipe came from a friend of mine from many years back. She was a lot younger than I but was always baking me cookies, brownies and such. She made this cake and sent it to me the first Christmas I was in the military. It could have tasted like cardboard and it still would have been good but I remember it being delicious and the men in my unit , at least those who were lucky to get a small slice, agreed. They all added notes to my thank you letter and of course were asking for more goodies.  

That was in 1964, a very lonely Christmas, one that I shall never forget.
==========================================================
Here is the recipe:

3 cups of self rising flour
1 cup of butter
2 cups of sugar (yes, you can use Splenda)
2 eggs
2 cups of applesauce
4 oz of coconut
1/2 lb of green candied cherries (8oz = 1 cup)
1/2 lb red candied cherries (8oz= 1 cup)
1 lb of chopped pecans. (16 oz = 2 cups)

Mix together the flour, sugar, softened butter, eggs and applesauce.
When adding the next ingredients do not use a mixer, mix by hand(I use a wooden spoon)
Fold in by hand; coconut, cherries and pecans.

Pour ingredients into a greased tub pan

Bake for one (1) hour at 300 Degrees




Bake and enjoy. Know someone in the military who is away from home for the first time at Christmas?  Bake an extra and send it to them. If not a cake, some Christmas cookies. They will certainly appreciate it just as I did those many years ago.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buying a cake. Red velvet seens to be hot this year and... EXPENSIVE

Fred G.

Ticker said...

Red Velvet is always hot this time of year Fred. I'll be posting a recipe for that very cake soon. If I can make it, you can. haha.

Right Truth said...

Sounds yummy. Not everybody likes the candied fruits, but I love them. I'm going to try this one, as well as a previous one you posted. I hae to find the time to make new recipes. Using Splenda in this one will help, but the coconut and the candied fruits still have lots of sugar. Hubby wouldn't eat it (diabetic) but I would love it.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

Ticker said...

Debbie, they make dried cherries instead of candied and such that are basically sugar free. Leave out the coconut for him. It is just as good without the coconut really.
Glad you like the goodies.

sue hanes said...

Ticker - My dad belonged to the Rotary Club for years - and every Christmas they would sell Fruitcake for a moneymaking project.

It never appealed to me but after I ate some I liked it. I just never make it myself - or think to buy it.


anyway - i am one so maybe that's why it i don't really go for it

Z said...

I LOVE fruitcake so I think I'd like this.......I think I just might try this one, Ticker.

I'm eager to see your Red Velvet recipe because I think Red Velvet is THE most overrated thing in cooking for the last thirty years. Everybody LOVES Red Velvet and I only find it to taste like a moist mildly chocolate-tasting cake that's red! WHat's the big deal? :-)
SHow me I'm wrong!!

Z said...

"tub pan"? I"ve got to look into that...??

Ticker said...

Yes Z and you have never made a typo I bet. It's a tube pan and anyone who bakes would know. ;>)

Gage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Habitual Muse... said...

I would love to bake something to send to our military persons over seas, but it'd never make it through customs! Did you see where they stopped the prego teenager from getting on the plane because her purse was shaped like a gun? they tried to play it off like "better safe than sorry". Wait....aren't we already sorry? LOL
Love you Daddy!

The Habitual Muse... said...

Wait! No bourbon ball recipes? ugh!

Ticker said...

Muse, send me the recipe since you "snitched " it from me. I can't find mine but I bet I know where it is. :D

Always On Watch said...

I just might have to try this one.

But I'm not sure that I have the right kind of baking pan for it.

Ticker said...

HAHAHA AOW, it's a TUBE PAN not a tub pan.I made a typo. I bet you have at least one in your kitchen.