Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Baking Time-- Easy Recipe

Here is a recipe for something that I have seldom seen on tables in recent years. One doesn't see the recipe in magazines or pictures of it on fancy holiday tables.  One wonders why when it is such a delicious morsel.

                                 How long has it been since you have had Egg Custard Pie?

Here is a recipe for Egg Custard Pie made in a blender that my wife's Mom use to make.

1 13 oz can of evaporated milk
1 cup of Sugar
3 Tbsp Flour
3 Eggs
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
Nutmeg

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine Milk, sugar, flour,eggs, butter and vanilla in the blender.
Blend on Medium speed for 30 seconds or until ingredients are totally blended but not foamy. (30 seconds usually does it for me)
Pour into a heavily greased and floured pie pan. (Glass works best)
Sprinkle with nutmeg
Bake for 45 minutes or until firm.
A crust will form on the bottom as it is baked.

Now, there is an old fashion recipe made easy with the use of a blender. Give it a try for sure this Christmas season.

8 comments:

sue hanes said...

Ticker - MMMMMM.

A lot like creme brulee - isn't it.


That's the only dessert that I'll eat anymore.

Too bad a lot of restaurants don't carry it.

Ticker said...

Creme brulee is not baked except to brown the sugar on top and then it is refrigerated. It also only uses the yoke of the egg rather than the entire egg and uses brown sugar also no flour. The heavy cream is somewhat different as well but could be used in custard pie but it would make it a bit "lighter" in some ways. I have made both.
The taste is different as well. I do like them both but Egg Custard Pie is my favorite of the two.

I eat anything called dessert as you can see by my blogs. I just made the ginger cookies today. Most of them are gone and I only got a few. Tomorrow a good cake is in order. I will have finished the chocolate pudding by then.

Always On Watch said...

My parents and I used to eat at the S&W Cafeteria -- until the S&W went out of business in the mid 80s, that is.

That cafeteria regularly offered egg custard pie.

My neighbor from Georgia occasionally prepares this pie, but not very often.

PS: Your posts make me hungry! I'm going to blame YOU for my holiday weight-gain! LOL.

Always On Watch said...

Do you remember something called chess pie?

Right Truth said...

That sounds fantastic. If you are making all these dishes, you are really eating good, ha.

My daughter asked me for my chess pie recipe this month, my mother made a fantastic one. She also made a chocolate chess, lemon chess and a coconut chess pie.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

Ticker said...

AOW, I remember the
S&W Cafeteria well. The one I remember was located in Asheville, NC and it was wonderful. We ate there when ever we crossed the state line from Tn to shop in Asheville or to take a drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was elegant and yes they had a delicious Custard Pie as well as Chess Pie which I have not made in a long time.

Yes Debbie, Chess pie comes in different flavors and my Mom's favorite was Lemon Chess and she made it often. Debbie, share the recipe with us. I am sure that many would be interested in trying it. I know I would and sounds like AOW would as well.

Always On Watch said...

Ticker,
Do you have a recipe for chess pie?

Irish Coffee Recipes said...

Great reaading your blog post